Sunday 10 June 2007

Paradox

Have you ever come across a new idea or concept which hasn't been part of your thinking before, and then in the following weeks, found it cropping up in everything you read? Paradox is one of those for me. First it cropped up in an article by James Proctor which I found useful in forming the conclusion to an essay about the role of Geography in the field of Political Ecology. Proctor cites Kierkegaard's view that be ability to "retain paradox is the mark of good inquiry" (1998) in calling for a geography which does not flatten reality under a forced nature-culture dualism, and this clarified for me the argument that I had formed to argue a similar point.

Having thought about this, the notion of paradox suddenly started to seem central to other aspects of my reading - particularly in work questioning the meanings of 'nature', for example Cronon's edited book Uncommon Ground. And again in literature about happiness, which I was using to explore how the economic concept of utility has failed to produce outcomes which maximise human happiness. Much of the happiness literature described how a paradoxical notion of self/the individual as divided and separate from society has tended to produce flawed understandings of happiness.

And most recently, one of the two comments posted in response to posts on this blog has been from Geoffrey Edwards, for whom paradox forms a central interest and subject of two blogs. The suggestion there is that we are in the middle of a paradigm shift from a dominance of orthodoxy to one of paradoxy. Read more here.

Anyone else have anything else to say about paradoxes?

1 comment:

Dewiniaeth said...

Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. I've added you back. Yes, paradox! I just read a really wonderful essay by Parker Palmer about the role of paradox in the writings of Thomas Merton. How he took ideas that seemed on the surface to contradict each other and creatively transformed them into something new through paradox. I want to write about it when I get a chance but for now: http://www.pendlehill.org/resources/files/pdf%20files/php224b.pdf

I'll check out those paradox blogs! I'd say that awe as well is about being comfortable with uncertainty and embracing paradox, so that will be very central to my blog too.